Travelling is a very wonderful experience. However, sometime you are met with choices that need careful consideration. Like, should you choose camping as opposed to hotel accommodation?
Which of the two is cheap?
Most travelers will prefer hotel accommodation as oppose to camping. This is because in many travel destinations, camping facilities are not aggressively marketed. The prices in many camping facilities are often cheaper. However, these camps are meant to give you an experience that you will never have when staying in a hotel. You may not have a TV or a Wifi connection, but you get a comfortable bed, nice prepared food, security and a chance to spend a night under the beautiful stars in a secure tent.
Some tour operators recommend camping to their clients because of its cheap prices, uniqueness and a chance to do more. The average cheap hotel price is $80-100 per night. The average camping price is $5-10 per night. Camping will save you up to 50% of accommodation budget compared to hotel accommodation.
Most people spend more on accommodation as compared to other activities. Their entire travelling budget revolves around getting a cheap hotel. They will deny themselves some important experiences just to save money for their accommodation.
What if they opt for camping?
They will save enough money to be able to enjoy other experiences. If you cannot enjoy your holiday, then you are the same as that person who never travelled. The best way to enjoy if you are on a budget is to cut cost as much as you can. One of the ways is by choosing camping instead of hotel accommodation.
If I was travelling 10 years back the best way to carry money in exchange would have been a traveller’s check. But with volatile exchange rates and technological advances traveler’s’ checks have been relegated as old method. However the question of exchanging currency remains. How to answer, well there are many ways.
- Use ATM for day-to-day funds – If you have a VISA or MasterCard debit card with you, day-to-day cash can be withdrawn from ATM. The cheapest option is the ATM for day-to-day funds with the ever-expanding ATM network worldwide. Never use a credit card to withdraw cash as I have already told you the last time.
- For large amounts look for Bank – WIthdrawing large amounts of cash from ATM can be costly even with the 1% to 3% fees. ATM also have withdrawal limits. So best way is to visit a partner bank where you will be able to withdraw money.
- Credit Cards for large purchases – Yes the credit card scores over cash. It is handy and works everywhere. Making large purchases is prudent with credit cards.
- Never exchange at no fee Bureau – No fee bureau charges gives exchange rates that are really low. You will lose a lot of money at these centers. They are big No for exchanging money. Better places are over the counter exchanges at airports.
- Traveler’s checks for emergency – Yeah even now the travelers’ checks are the best bet in emergency. But use only in emergency.
If you are a single woman traveller, one of your biggest concerns will be your residence. You will have to spend more time than usual looking for the right kind of hotels, depending on the places you are visiting. If you are visiting countries that are known to be unsafe for women, you would have to figure out which areas would be safer for you. Areas closer to the city centre, and areas that have a larger concentration of foreign travellers would be the best bet for you in such countries.
If you are travelling to countries that are considered safe for women, it would still be wise for you to do your homework and find out more about the locality that you are staying in. Off late, Couchsurfing and Air BNB has become an option for many people who want to stay in places for free, or people who want to live in houses instead of hotels. If you have opted for this residence, you should talk to the person letting you into their home and see if you do get along with them. You should check for reviews written by other people about this person, to see if there is anything suspicious about them too.
These are movements that will let you figure out the ideal place to stay.